How did you find the Walton & Johnson show?

Forums The W&J Show – General How did you find the Walton & Johnson show?

Participant
    CL
    When I was about 20 I had a shitty job locked in a room of files. Someone literally superglued the knob to be stuck on the fm radio station so it couldn’t be changed. Back then,  there was shitty music, and walton and johnson on the radio. If I could ever give a hand shake to the person who had my job before I did, I would take it. They definitely put me in the right direction.

Persistence can piss a hole through a mountain.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Replies
      Fishguyjosh
      Participant
      US
      I grew up in Houma, LA. So as a little kid I heard W&J all over the place, including on the school bus.

When I moved to California, I was always sad to leave them behind and could never find a show to hold a candle. The release of the app was like becoming a new listener all over again. Especially because they had evolved their views and politics and I simultaneously did the same thing once I became surrounded by liberalism.

I always remembered hearing it on the radio randomly in my dads car, so it was natural to switch it on when heading to summer jobs or high school. Many years on and off desperately trying to pick it up on a distant station when I moved away for college, then full on when back in Louisiana for oilfield work. By the time I moved to Florida the internet was my savior.

I vividly recall the first time John and Steve heard of aspberger’s syndrome from a caller. The second most memorable moment to me was when turning it on the morning after Obama won and hearing the news. The doom and gloom feels familiar now. Although, at least Joke Biden is more silly than sinister.

- I insure more than just boats, but c’mon man, boats are...you know, the thing.
      bob14089
      Participant
      Moved to nola after Katrina in 06 to help rebuild and these bastards came on and ive been hooked ever since. They are like crack 1 hit is never enough lol. God bless John, we miss you brother, still eatting it everyday!!!
      DustyB
      Participant
      US
      On February 1st, 2002, I turned KLOL on for my morning commute. I was expecting to hear Steve Fixx, who had been filling the drivetime void after the Grego, Pruett and The Boner show had been canceled.

I’ve been a 10 Percenter ever since.

O Bryan
      Participant
      US
      Green beans!! Iam 45 now. The first time I heard y’all I was in , I think 7 or 8 grade. I would wake up to go to school and fix my coffee and breakfast sitting by the window watching down the road for the bus. I could see when it was like a mile down the road with the lights. Cause if I miss the bus mom would beat my ass really bad!!! Any ways one morning I turned on the old jukebox, starting turning that old big nob, going threw stiackie and music/NEWS/ morning talk shows and was like man theirs nothing on this old piece of sh#t. Then all of asauned y’all came on in the middle of one of y’all best moments and hooked me for life. That day forward I would wake up a few minutes earlier just to hear y’all. I would run turn the box on first thing ,and listen then get ready for school.  Y’all lost me a few times changing stations getting fired, quitting lol ECT. But a few days later I would find y’all on another station. Still listening till this day. And thanks for stepping up Kenny, and may John rest in peace.
      Bryan
      Superballs
      none
      It was about 1984 or 1985 when my dad was driving me to elementary school. We would listen to WJ … back when they did “Story Time” and “The All My Children Update” … back when Angela Hill was bangable. Classic WJ. After elementary school I rode a school bus where the driver refused to allow us to listen to WJ. She said they were inappropriate. I bought my first Walkman after that.

Some of you old schoolers might remember that Jay Hooks dude. He was always lamenting the loss of his foreskin. What the hell ever happened to that goofball.

I was also listening live when those idiots from KISS called in and started breaking WJ’s balls on the air. John hung up on them and asked, “why did we let that asshole on the air?” I’ve hated KISS ever since.

xprocowboy
      Participant
      2012 was sent to provide relief backup in Houston medical Center, channel surfing the radio, found W&J, was hooked
        mrsfury
        Participant
        none
        We LOVED Jay Hooks! I thought he was fired or quit for some stupid thing he did and never turned up. His rants were legendary. “Hail the size of hypodermic needles is in the forecast.” I’ve been listening since day 1. I wonder what happened to Jackie from Chalmette and Anton.
        I like kids. They taste like chicken.
      MarineAO
      Participant
      US
      Moved back to NOLA after a 34 year swing around the world to find W&J on my favorite station from before I left hooked ever since…
      Kevin
      Participant
      I started listening when the show started. After the show split up, I was surprised to know it was back together. However, I guess I missed the passing of the old guy, that I can’t remember the name of that had the high pitched voice.
      Mark James
      Participant
      I grew up with the Walton and Johnson Show.  I remember when they were on out of New Orleans, I believe the station was 92.3, WCKW, Home of The Classic Rock.  I worked in the oilfield at the time and that was what I listened to on the drive in to work, and of course while at work.  The show has changed alot over the years, but it was a very necessary change.  It’s like Steve often says, politics control more of our lives these days that any us would ever want, and we cannot count on our liberal media to tell us the truth anymore.  They are working for the man, as they say.  So if we want to hear the truth, we must tune it to W&J.  God Bless!
      SweetDaddyD
      Participant
      US
      I’ve been listening to W&J since the early 90’s on various stations: 96.9 in Alexandria, 101.3 in Lake Chuck, 98.1 in the Red Stick when they were airing, the flag ship station in the Big H while I was working out of Galveston, the stations in Nawln’s while I’m working out of Morgan City and 105.1 in party town U.S.A. Lafayette.
      Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day 
      seedub-a-you
      Participant
      US
      My dad loved the show in the 80s we would listen to it I think it was either WJBO or 100.7 the Tiger….

But it’s my understanding 100.7 the Tiger screwed them so Screw 100.7

Benzadmiral
      Participant
      I was lucky enough to run across the show when they were on WQUE New Orleans, way back in 1984!  In that long-dead time, I went to work at 1 pm, so I’d be writing in my back bedroom in the morning, and tuned across the dial looking for something interesting.  Suddenly here’s a Real Country Boy (I later found his name was “Billy Ed Hatfield”) describing the incredible boobs on the mermaid sculptures at the entrance to the World’s Fair in NO.  I said, “Who *are* these guys?”

There were more “staff” members on the show then.  There was Amos the Old Storyteller, who related scurrilous but fake stories about local TV and political personalities, including Angela Hill.  There was Walter Crankcase, the “veteran newsman.”  There were the guys from Abu Dhabi (which I thought W & J had made up, but it’s a real country) announcing that they liked to “eat our dates.”  And Mr. Kenneth had his continuing soap opera, *The Gays of Our Lives*.

“Visit the International House of Panda!  We make all your favorite panda dishes, including spaghetti and panda balls . . . where we make hunger an endangered species!”

Yeah, the show has changed.  But it’s always been inspired and has always spoken to a certain informed, smart kind of listener.

Benzadmiral
      Participant

Mark James: I grew up with the Walton and Johnson Show.  I remember when they were on out of New Orleans, I believe the station was 92.3, WCKW, Home of The Classic Rock. . . .

That was 1995 or so, I think?  They started here on WQUE, then went away, made NY too hot to hold ’em, then came back here in the late ’80s.

Benzadmiral
      Participant
      Not only did I think W & J  made up “Abu Dhabi,” I thought they made up the term “cougar” to refer to an older, attractive, but somewhat, uh, predatory woman.  You learn a lot listening to these guys.
      Benzadmiral
      Participant
      Oh, and I almost forgot:  Sherry Bernardi, who was their “news chick” — the actual news reporter for WQUE.  They’d kid her all the time.  When they did the birthdays segment, for example, they’d invariably comment that “So-and-So is older than Bernardi” (or “younger than,” depending on who it was).

Who was that fellow in the mid-’90s on the local New Orleans station who would do segments and commentary?  I’ve always remembered his observation that, wherever in this city you have a point where  a road goes over a railroad track, you need to have a bridge or overpass.  And what is the point of an underpass that floods every time it rains?

BigMike3350
      Participant
      I was a Special Agent with the United States Customs Service working  a marijuana smuggling case in Houma, LA in 1984.  Surveillance on the organization was difficult due to their location on a one way in, one way out.  The agents set up at a volunteer fire station and watched the bad guys come and go for weeks and we’re not detected by the organization.  While there we turned on the radio to Q93 in New Orleans and were entertained by these very talented guys.  And I have been listening to them ever since.  RIP John Walton!!!!!!
      Benzadmiral
      Participant

mrsfury: We LOVED Jay Hooks! I thought he was fired or quit for some stupid thing he did and never turned up. His rants were legendary. “Hail the size of hypodermic needles is in the forecast.” I’ve been listening since day 1. I wonder what happened to Jackie from Chalmette and Anton.

That sounds like the guy I remember from the mid-’90s!

Xanatost
      Participant
      I found them in 1988. Joined the Marines in 89. For the next 10 years had family and friends record them for me and send them to me for years until I was able to get them as mp3’s. I had them playing at dam near every FOB I was in or camp I stayed at. I’m sure somewhere in the Middle East there are a bunch of tapes still floating around!!! And yes I did fly 10,000 miles to smoke a camel!!!
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.