Psych exams to buy guns or ammo?

Forums Guns, Ganja & Gambling Psych exams to buy guns or ammo?

• Replies
      Finger
      Participant
      US
      Already was subject to this in a way…here in Texas of all places.

Long story…as short as I can make it.  I had let my license to carry lapse, because I was on the road a lot and didn’t have the time to go through the renewal process.  As my license was expired, I had to take the class again.  No big deal, with the change to open carry as an option now, I figured a good way to get a grasp on the new laws was right from a certified source.

Passed the course with no trouble.  Filed my application, paid the fee.

3 months on, I call Texas DPS to figure out what the delay was.  Come to find out, I was red flagged.  My application had been halted by the Texas Medical Evaluation Board…and agency I had never heard of.  This is an entity that can permanently revoke a driver’s license if you’re a chronic drunk driver, subject to seizures, etc.  Now they are empowered to look at my medical record – because I am a combat veteran with PTSD.

I had to go to the VA…and get it in writing…from a PSYCHIATRIST that I am NOT a danger to myself of others, possess sound judgement, etc.  Absolutely offended that the stigma of PTSD automatically makes you dangerous.

Sent in documentation that I am in good mental health and got the license.  I was on hold for nearly NINE months at the end of this process.

When even the “medical” experts don’t understand PTSD, the varying levels, circumstances, etc…it really makes me distrust those in government positions.  Thanks to Hollywood and those who don’t have PTSD their version instantly means we all have flashbacks, no control of our faculties, and are just “burned out and dangerous”.  Are there such cases?  Yes.  However, they are not the classic nor even common ones.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Finger.
      Iacet nobilitas mea.
        hillarora
        Participant
        US
        I don’t trust our (government) regime to begin with. My question is can we even buy guns now anymore? I bought my first hand gun a couple days before this new universal gun background check was passed. (Recently lost it in a boating accident😕) Now, I want to get a rifle because I plan on going hunting this season. Can I even do that now considering in my younger years I had problems with depression. This is so aggravating what the regime is doing to us law abiding Americans. I currently reside in Louisiana and we are a level 2 when it comes to gun restrictions. 10 being the highest restrictions.
      Chris46
      Participant
      US
      I would not be in favor of required psychological exams to buy firearms or ammo.  I’ve known quite a few people with psychological issues, and a few that were suicidal.  Most are actually very smart people who could pass a psych exam with flying colors.

Why require a psych exam when a convicted felon can get their hands on a firearm a hell of a lot quicker than I can?

BlackenFish
      Participant
      none
      All for the name of keeping people safe?
      Staring at the Sun for spots  
      xXx_69four20_xXx
      Participant
      CL
      I’d be fine with it if they also did it with your ability to vote

Persistence can piss a hole through a mountain.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.